To answer all the questions you may have about whether you should register as a Self-Employed, we have contacted Cristina Cremades, CEO and head of the tax department of the WECREM agency.

One of the main doubts that our Partners present when requesting the payment of their commissions is whether they should be registered as Self-Employed. After all, the commissions you generate as a Partner represent an economic gain, and to request your payments you need to issue an invoice on our platform.

Do you have to be self-employed if you work as a Partner?

When you are part of our Partners community and it is time to enter your payment information to request your commissions, you will notice that our platform requests your NIF or Tax Identification Number to be able to issue a payment invoice.

This gives rise to a very important question: do you have to be self-employed to issue a payment invoice as a Partner?

Cristina Cremades from WECREM Gestoría tells us that registering as self-employed is not mandatory. However, it is recommended that the content creator register with the Treasury through the Tax on Economic Activities declaration, or form 036.

This procedure is completely free and can be carried out through the electronic office of the Tax Agency.

So since you do not need to be self-employed to collect your commissions, you can issue invoices from our platform by simply entering your NIF in the payment data section, which is the same as your DNI.

Cristina also tells us that, legally, there is no minimum billing that exempts you from registering with the Treasury, being able to bill without an amount limit as long as you are registered with the Treasury.

So, do all content creators have to register with the Treasury?

Again, it is not required. However, Cristina recommends all content creators who receive income on a regular basis through their digital publications to register with form 036 and declare the commissions obtained on a quarterly basis.

For example, and according to Cristina, the punctual sale of a certain article would not justify a habitual commercial activity; Now, if you sell through a website or a business establishment, it is understood that you have started an economic and lucrative activity.

Although it is highly recommended that you register with the Treasury as a content creator who has begun to generate income, keep in mind that formalizing yourself as a self-employed person is the most recommended alternative if you want to guarantee Social Security protection for yourself.

When you register as self-employed, you cover illness or temporary disability, accidents at work and the cessation of activity for objective reasons, which would allow you to access a benefit if the case arises.

So although you do not need to be self-employed to issue your invoices as a Partner, you can consider registering as one according to your own circumstances and conditions.

And, where do VAT and withholdings applied to invoices come in?

If at least 70% of your billing goes to other freelancers or companies, you must apply a withholding to all your bills and declare quarterly personal income tax. The first three years, from the date of your registration in form 036, you will apply 7%, and the following 15%.

With regard to the tax to which your activities as a content creator registered as a freelancer are subject, you must always apply 21% VAT to each of the invoices and charges you issue.

However, those who have registered less than €1,000 per year will not have the obligation to make the rent.

If you have not registered as self-employed but you are issuing invoices as a content creator within the established limit, these are the three obligations that you must comply with the Treasury to avoid any scare:

Registration of activity in the Treasury - Form 036.
Quarterly declarations - Model 130 and Model 303.
Annual declarations - Model 390 and Model 347.

Knowing the necessary procedures to run your business smoothly is key so that your operations as a Partner always come out in the best possible way. We remind you that in Filiatly. We protect each of the commissions that you generate with your collaborating brands, and that you can always request the payments that correspond to you, even if you have not registered as a freelancer.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you!